Understand Admission Factors & What Colleges Consider
The first part of planning for college is understanding the factors colleges consider when looking at a student profile.
- Quality / Rigor of Academic Courses INCLUDING senior year
- Academic Performance / Grades / Rank
- Test Scores (ACT,SAT,SAT Subject Tests, AP, etc.)
- Extracurricular Activities
- Letters of Recommendation(s)
- Demonstrated Interest
- What about foreign language?
- Positive recommendations from educators and mentors
- Personal statement and essay(s) demonstrating writing ability and self-expression
- A "demonstrated interest" that shows your enthusiasm for the colleges to which you're applying
- Extracurricular activities, including participation in sports, performing/visual arts, voluteering, etc.
- Community involvement, par-time work or internship
- Interview (if applicable)